Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

Just One Day by Gayle Forman - Thoughts





Title: Just One Day (Just One Day #1)
Author: Gayle Forman

Pages: 369

Genre: YA Contemporary
Rating: A new favorite author!

I am not sure what else I can say about this book that has not already been said. I have read such glowing, articulate reviews that I almost hate to write one but here are my thoughts.

Just One Day is a coming of age story that centers on Allyson, her best friend Melanie and Willem. Allyson and Melanie are given a trip through Europe for their high school graduation presents and while there they sneak off to see a Shakespeare play in the part. It is here that Allyson meets Willem. She ends up spending Just One Day in Paris with him and then he disappears. Where has he gone and why did he leave? The book continues for the year following this day in Paris with Willem. Allyson's journey was emotional and real.

Allyson was a frustrating character to me. She has always played it safe. She followed her mother's color-coded calendar to a "t" and did what was expected of her. Always. So after Willem breaks her heart she shuts down. It is Forman's incredible ability to make these characters so real that I wanted to shake Allyson. But I so enjoyed how she changed and really came into her own throughout the book. She let go of other's expectations on her and learned to be herself.

I want to go to Paris. Immediately. I loved her wonderful way with words and the way I could picture each person and each place as it was being described. I was rooting for Allyson the entire book and thought that it had a satisfying ending. I am really looking forward to Willem's story in Just One Year.

The only thing I disliked about the book was her instant plunge into love with Willem but even that was so expertly written by Forman that I found it believable. 

I found this book to be magical, so talk to me...have you read this? Liked it? Have it on your TBR list?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my book nerd heart so very happy. Thanks for dropping by my blog and taking the time to interact with me. I love to talk books with other bookish people!