Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's #2) by Ransom Riggs (Thoughts On)


TitleHollow City (Miss Peregrine's #2)
Author: Ransom Riggs (website)(Twitter)
Pages: 352
Publisher: Quirk (website)(Twitter)
Source: copy from publisher for review
Rating: 4.5/5

Summary from Goodreads:

The extraordinary journey that began in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children continues as Jacob Portman and his newfound friends journey to London the peculiar capital of the world. But in this war-torn city, hideous surprises lurk around every corner. Like its predecessor, this second novel in the Peculiar Children series blends thrilling fantasy with never-before-published vintage photography to create a one-of-a-kind reacting experience.

Earlier in the week I reviewed the first of the Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and although my thoughts on it were quite scattered, I hope that I got the point across that it was wonderful. There are few times when I immediately pick up the next book in a series but I couldn't wait to start this one.

As much as I enjoyed the first book, I was quite pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed the second one even more.  The action starts up - quite literally - with the last scene of book 1 and never lets up until the end. "Edge of your seat" comes to mind when describing it. There is such a sense of danger and foreboding that the pace never slows. 

Jacob and the other peculiar children and trying to save Miss Peregrine. They travel to London to find any loop that might still be open. But they are in war time London which presents even more danger for these "children". A new cast of characters is introduced and the gypsies are fun.

I love that the peculiar children are even more fleshed out in this one. They are easy to keep straight even though there are several of them. Their personalities are so varied and their voices are so distinct. The race against the clock brings out their personalities even more. What your heart is, is shown when the going gets tough. They had to stick together even more this time around and it was enjoyable to see them grow together.

The romance aspect was a bit more pronounced in Hollow City and even though I still don't necessarily agree with it, it was not badly done. The relationship changes over time so I am curious to see where it ends.

As much as I loved Miss Peregrine's, I do think that Hollow City is even more well written. Once really see what is being described in the story. I've been so impressed with these books and can't wait to read the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my book nerd heart so very happy. Thanks for dropping by my blog and taking the time to interact with me. I love to talk books with other bookish people!