Tuesday, February 25, 2014
Top Ten Tuesday - REWIND: 10 Tips for New Bloggers
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly event from The Broke and the Bookish. Today's topic is REWIND, picking a topic we loved from before or one we might have missed.
I've chosen my top ten tips for new bloggers. Nothing earth shattering but things that I think we all need to be reminded of from time to time...
1. Find your own voice - Whether writing more formally or writing with a ton of slang, find your own voice. Write how you want and make it sound like you. There is no one else just like you...be the unique voice that you are without trying to be someone else...even if they are super cool!
2. Don't worry about posting every single day - life is busy and sometimes we think that we have to post every day or our "numbers" will go down. Blogging should be fun and if you are forcing your self to post just to post, your writing won't be as good so your readers won't enjoy it as much AND you'll end up not liking your blog. Post when you have something to say. Don't worry if you don't. Which goes with...
3. Don't worry about your "numbers" - it's fun to get ARCs, comments, followers and page views but sometimes worrying about it too much takes all the fun out of blogging. Blog for yourself and you'll always be happy!
4. Try something new - whether it is a new weekly/monthly feature, a new genre, a new page theme...don't get stuck in a rut. Do something new to shake things up a bit.
5. Know why you blog - this goes a bit with #3 that if you always blog for yourself you'll always be happy. Trying to impress other people won't always work but writing a blog because you enjoy writing a blog always will.
6. Get out there and meet people - one of the best ways to become involved in the blogging community is to get out there and meet people. Through Twitter or Facebook or events like Top Ten Tuesday, you'll meet people who will become friends and that's the best thing about blogging!
7. Don't forget to comment - comments make the blogging world go round so don't forget to comment on your favorite blogs when you have a chance. Everyone loves to get feedback and to know that someone is reading (and enjoying) what they have taken the time to write.
8. Remember there is no right way - it doesn't matter how you format your blog - whether you post only reviews or a mix of reviews and other stuff. What matters is that you're doing it your way.
9. Have fun - this is worth its own number...have fun. What's the point of blogging if it is a chore?
10. Keep learning - if you keep learning you'll always keep growing as a blogger and your blog will continue to get better - better to read, better to write, better to have.