Pages

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

When your world is upended



I am paranoid about almost any bad weather so when we started hearing about a hurricane coming towards us, I got nervous fast. They were expecting it to come through as a 2. Imagine our surprise when it increased quickly to maximum sustained winds of 155 mph, just 2 mph short of a Category 5.

Luckily for us but terribly for others, it shifted just enough west that the eye didn't go over us. This place looks like a war zone. Mexico Beach is pretty much wiped out. Places in Georgia are wiped out. A tree fell through our house. 100% of our area was without power. As of now, we still don't have internet or power at our house. We're staying with friends who do.

A friend of ours started a GoFundMe for us. Friends and my parents have offered and given a place to stay, meals, help in whatever way they can. I have learned who my true friends are.

We are safe and ultimately that is what matters. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, I just don't see it quite yet.

Saturday is the fall Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon. To tell you that I am excited for this event is an understatement. It will be an escape from my life. I will be on the main blog for a couple of hours. Come see me and say hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my book nerd heart so very happy. Thanks for dropping by my blog and taking the time to interact with me. I love to talk books with other bookish people!