Pages

Monday, May 18, 2015

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green {Thoughts On}



The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (websiteTwitter)
Pages/Type/Source: 337, Kindle, I purchased

From Goodreads:
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning author John Green's most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love.


I. Can't. Even.

I resisted this one for quite some time. Books that are hyped as much as this one has been usually end up being a disappointment to me. It just can't live up to my high expectations. I had booktube videos going in the background while I was working and three of them mentioned this book. I bought it from Amazon and was going to read a few pages before bed. Several hours later I had finished the book. It has literally been years since I've read a book in one sitting.I just could not put it down!

Obviously this book will have you feeling all the feels - it is about teenagers who have cancer - but the thing that makes it so great it how funny it is. Without giving any spoilers, I am so surprised that it was so funny. It was so heartwarming and left me feeling hopeful which is amazing for a book about this topic.

It reminds me of a book that I read when I was little called Invincible Summer by Jean Ferris. Same type of story and it slayed me too. It's been at least 25 years since I read it and I still remember it and the cover artwork.

There was one line towards the end that completely and utterly broke my little book reading heart. I didn't know if I could even finish it but wanted to see how things wrapped up. I think that the ending was fitting. 

So glad I gave this one a try. It was a definite 5 star read for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my book nerd heart so very happy. Thanks for dropping by my blog and taking the time to interact with me. I love to talk books with other bookish people!