Pages

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Slim for Life by Jillian Michaels



Title: Slim for Life (My Insider Secrets to Simple, Fast, and Lasting Weight Loss)
Author: Jillian Michaels (website)(Twitter)
Pages: 265
Genre: Self Help, weight loss, lifestyle
Publisher: Harmony Books
Publication Date: February 12, 2013
Source: Library

It will seem odd that as big of a fan as I am of Jillian Michaels, I have never really watched The Biggest Loser. I need to change that. 

Michaels said she'd never write another dieting book but changed her mind because there are such conflicting views on what to do and what not to do. She's taken all her best tips and put them in one place. A fun thing she did in Slim for Life is assigning a point value to each of the tips. Items with a 3 are going to make faster, longer results. Items with a 1 are good but are more optional.

I was confused during the exercise chapter because I have no idea what all the exercises are. I wanted to just chunk the book and go to eat the buffet at Stevi B's pizza. Glad I didn't though because the second half of the book was awesome. So many simple tips than done over the long haul will make big changes.

My favorite part is her explanation of coming up with your "why". I've heard this concept in other self help type books but she explained it and gave such good examples that it really clicked for me. Knowing why you want to lose weight and be healthier - in the most specific terms you can make - will help on those days you want the pan of brownies or want to skip your workout.

The chapters are short and the tips are broken down in bullet points for even easier reading. She has a way of writing that makes it seem as if she's sitting in your living room chatting. I love that. And sprinkled throughout are "dieting myths" where she tells what's real and what isn't.

I was already a fan but now I'm even more in awe of her. If applied, this book can literally be a life changer. I'd recommend it to anyone who needs to lose weight but isn't quite sure where to start or what to do. 

4/5 since the second half was so awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my book nerd heart so very happy. Thanks for dropping by my blog and taking the time to interact with me. I love to talk books with other bookish people!