Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Cinders and Sapphires by Leila Rasheed - Thoughts



Title: Cinders and Sapphires
Author: Leila Rasheed

Pages: 400
Genre: YA
Series: At Somerton, first in series

At first glance this is not a book I would normally pick up. Looks so romancey and not me. But I saw it available at the library and took a chance. I am so glad I did. While I had issue with the insta-love, I so enjoyed this book. Read it in one sitting and am looking forward to the next book in the series.

I loved seeing how the lives of Rose, a maid, and her lady, Ada, combined and intertwined. Their two worlds were seemingly so far apart and yet...not. Rose was such a lovely character and fit into Ada's world so well that it was easy to forget that she was a maid, even as she went about her duties.

The romance was my least favorite part but only because I am not a big fan of insta-love. I love the build up. This book didn't have it. I love the tease and the tension. This book didn't have that either. Actually, there was tension, but it was the wrong kind for me. The stolen moments did not take my breath away like I would have liked.

The setting of Somerton was lush and I thought that the author did such an amazing job of making me feel as if I were there. I love that in a book. The dialogue was believable as well, and we all know how dialogue makes or breaks a book for me.

My favorite thing about Cinders and Sapphires is how it made me think. How would it be still living in an age where I can't freely decide to get an education without my father's approval? Or that I couldn't love a man not of my nationality? 

A good start to a series that will be on my list to read. 

If you read this did you like it? Not?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my book nerd heart so very happy. Thanks for dropping by my blog and taking the time to interact with me. I love to talk books with other bookish people!