Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

Shark Tales by Barbara Corcoran - Thoughts on a Business Book



Title: Shark Tales (How I Turned $1,000 Into a Billion Dollar Business)
Author: Barbara Corcoran with Bruce Littlefield
Pages: 291
Genre: Business
Source: library loan (they bought a copy per my request...thanks library!)
Rating: Mixed Bag

This title was originally published as If You Don't Have Big Breasts, Put Ribbons on Your Pigtails. It's a good thing the title changed or I never would have picked up this book. Even though that old title is explained through a story in the book, I dislike it. Strongly. This edition has been re-edited and content from the show has been added.

My Favorite got me addicted to the show Shark Tank and Barbara is one of the Sharks. She is firm but fair on the show and I really like how she deals with the entrepreneurs that pitch their ideas. I follow several of the Sharks on my other Twitter account and something was said about her book so I looked it up.

It's a mix of stories from her childhood and how the lessons her mom taught her helped her in her business. To go from $1,000 loan to being New York City's Queen of Real Estate is quite impressive and I was highly interested in learning how she did it. I enjoyed her stories and nodded my head at her "lessons" but, and maybe it's just me, but I didn't really find anything that I could relate to my own business. Guess I am not thinking outside the box as much as I should.

It was a light and fairly quick read but it isn't a book that I would gush about. I'd recommend it to other fans of Barbara's who would like to learn more about her upbringing but if you are looking for a book to make you rich, this isn't it.

Anyone else like Shark Tank or business type books? I'm always looking for books like that so if you know of any that are excellent, please share in the comments or send me an email or tweet at me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my book nerd heart so very happy. Thanks for dropping by my blog and taking the time to interact with me. I love to talk books with other bookish people!