Pages

Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd - Thoughts





Title: The Madman's Daughter
Author: Megan Shepherd
Pages: 420 pages
Genre: YA
Rating: I really liked it


The Madman's Daughter was one of the debuts that I was most looking forward to this year. I have read so many raving reviews that my expectations were through the roof on this one. Unfortunate.

Madman's Daughter is the story of 16 year old Juliet Moreau and was inspired by H.G. Wells's classic The Island of Dr. Moreau. She is on her own after her mother dies and her doctor father disappears following a scandal. The allegations against the doctor were never proven but she still suffers because of them. After finding out that her father is still alive, Juliet travels with her childhood crush, Montgomery, to her father's island. During the journey to the island they encounter castaway Edward who they take to the island with them. Once on the island Juliet discovers the truth about her father.

I dislike being even slightly negative about a novel like this. The author has created a whole island and characters that seem so very real. 

Things I liked: the island was so real. I felt as if I were there with them. The characters were well developed even if I didn't like them all. Lots of action and a general creepiness.

Things I didn't like: Juliet was annoying. She was critical of others for things she herself thought and wanted to do. The love triangle was unnecessary and I didn't feel it. At all. She seemed only half-heartedly interested in Edward. I don't look for upcoming twists in stories and several of these were just so obvious. I wanted more creepiness and less romance.

I will say again that I think that my expectations of this book were just unrealistic and that's why I am not fangirling all over it like I thought I would. I'm looking forward to the next in the series but will not have as high of expectations next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my book nerd heart so very happy. Thanks for dropping by my blog and taking the time to interact with me. I love to talk books with other bookish people!