Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Junior's Home Cooking by Alan Rosen / Beth Allen {cookbook review}


Title: Junior's Home Cooking (100 Recipes for Classic Comfort Food)
Authors: Alan Rosen and Beth Allen
Expected Publication Date: October 15, 2013
Publisher: The Taunton Press
Source/format: egalley from publisher for review
Rating: yummmm!

The biggest thing I look for in cookbooks is recipes without off the wall ingredients  Can I buy them in my Walmart Supercenter or do I have to go to a specialty shop? These really are classic comfort foods. Using every day ingredients, these are some of my favorites. I wish we had a Junior's around us if this is the type of food that can be found there!

The cookbook is broken into sections:

Appetizers
Salads
Dressings for salads
Soups
Sandwiches ( the lobster roll looks to die for as do the po boys!)
Brunch
Daily Specials
Sides
Bread Basket
Desert

Each section has lots of great recipes  I like that most don't require many, many different ingredients and for the most part are quite easy to make. "The Junior's Way" side bars offer tips to make it just like the restaurant serves it. I thought that was a cool twist.

The cover shot of salad, fried chicken and macaroni and cheese is divine. There are full color photographs of many recipes spread throughout the book. If there is one thing that I would change it was the number of photographs. I really love being able to see what the food is "supposed" to look like and most of the recipes do NOT have photos.

It does not include nutritional information which could be a problem for some people. 

A few of my favorite recipes are: corn bread stuffing, Corn bread, blueberry cheesecake muffins, doughnuts, and s'more cupcakes. I think I gained a couple of pounds just reading all the great recipes in here.

Junior's Home Cooking is one of those go to cookbooks for great comfort foods.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my book nerd heart so very happy. Thanks for dropping by my blog and taking the time to interact with me. I love to talk books with other bookish people!