Pages

Friday, January 4, 2013

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi - Thoughts

ImageTitle: Shatter Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Series or Standalone: Series #1
Rating: Loved

If you read many book blogs, you have probably read a review or ten about this book. You will find that I tend to shy away from books that are too hyped but this one lives up to the hype. I finished it at 11 PM on December 31st. As much as I didn't really want it to end, I so wanted to see how it ended. The first of a planned trilogy, it is about 17 year old Juliette who can kill with her touch. She has been locked up in solitary confinement. Now the government wants to use her as a tool but is she the monster that she thinks she is?

I am a big fan of Young Adult dystopian literature and this is an excellent example of the genre. I enjoyed the character development even if I didn't enjoy every character. The romance was an added bonus...it sizzled, it didn't annoy. I look forward to seeing how some of the loose ends are tied up as the series goes on.

The only thing I didn't like was the ending. Without posting spoilers, it was actually my least favorite part of the book. Seemed a bit too convenient. A bit too X-Men like for me. But having said that, I would definitely recommend this to other YA dystopian fans as it has all the elements of a great story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my book nerd heart so very happy. Thanks for dropping by my blog and taking the time to interact with me. I love to talk books with other bookish people!