Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg - Thoughts





Image



























Title: The Catastrophic History of You and Me
Author: Jess Rothenberg
Pages: 375
Series or Standalone: Standalone
Genre: I'd say YA contemporary with a twist of paranormal since she is, after all, dead
My rating: I loved this and it will stay with me for a long time

I have to admit that I picked up this book solely because of the cover. I read the inside jacket flap but wasn't sure that I wanted to read about a 15 year old girl that was gaga over some stupid boy. This book is so much more that the story of a girl who loves a boy.
Brie's life ends right after her boyfriend, "it" guy, Jacob, tells her he doesn't love her. She dies of a broken heart. Her heart literally breaks in half. What happens next is her journey through the 5 stages of grief (denial, anger, bargaining, sadness and acceptance) before she can move on. She meets the adorable Patrick and he tries to help her through the stages. When Brie visits her family and friends she sees lots of secrets. Crushing secrets.
I was amazed that this was a debut novel. The writing was just plain luscious. This story was both hilarious and heartbreaking - often at the same time.
I loved the use of song titles/lyrics throughout (and she lists all the songs in the back). I loved Brie and Patrick. I loved Jacob. I loved Brie's best friends Sadie, Emma and Tess and how they were when they were together because it rang so true of friendships like that.
In the end, this story is about loving and letting go - of your assumptions, of your prejudices, of the way things "should" be.
Two of my favorite quotes:
Falling in love is pretty much the same thing as being eaten alive by a grizzly bear.
and
I’d chosen to sit and watch the storm clouds gather instead of running for cover at the first hint of rain. And I had paid the price for waiting. Because the storm became a hurricane.
 I've been on a roll with reading really great books lately. I gasped, I laughed and I cried. Loved this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my book nerd heart so very happy. Thanks for dropping by my blog and taking the time to interact with me. I love to talk books with other bookish people!